Friday, August 17, 2012

Memories


 We've been going to the same place for vacation each summer for about 25 years.  It's a beautiful beach spot filled with many, many memories. 

Twelve years ago, Chris and I took a picture on a particular couch at this vacation spot.  We've taken the same shot every year since. 

The above picture was taken twelve years ago - on the night of our engagement.  He thought I was surprised (and I didn't let on for about five years that I knew what was coming), but it didn't matter; that night was one of the happiest of my life. 

I will never forget getting up from dinner and while my whole family was headed out to play the card game Skip Bo, Chris asked if I wanted to go for a walk. 

"No." 

I wanted to play Skip-Bo (one of my favorites), and (I will never forget) there was key lime pie involved.  There was no way I was taking a walk on the beach. 

My dad whipped out the video camera and put it in my face: 

"You really should go for a walk, honey, it's a beautiful night.  Just go ahead." 

And then I knew.  Dad, good ol' dad, giving away the entire thing.  My entire family stared at me.  Did they seriously think I wasn't picking up on anything? 

I then agreed to the walk with the promise that they'd save some key lime pie.  My sisters just giggled. 

My family cannot keep a secret. 

As we were walking toward the beach, my dad video taping the entire thing, I heard my little sister whisper: 

"Do you know what is about to happen?!?" 

And then it was confirmed.

But I kept my cool, even though I was excited myself about what was about to happen. 

It was dark when we began walking - very dark.  In fact, there were no lights anywhere near our part of the beach.  I didn't know it at the time, but Chris was trying to find light. So, he was incredibly distracted as we walked.  Regardless, I tried to make conversation. 

"Don't you think it would be awesome to be a lifeguard at a place like this?  I mean, what a job." 

"Uh-huh.  Awesome."  He was looking all around, and I had no idea for what - fireworks, a plane, a person.  I decided to not try and guess but to keep talking: 

"That's got to be a job that has very little stress.  Don't you think?" 

"Uh-huh.  You should move to Florida." 

For real?  Then we got into an argument over whether or not he wanted to move to Florida. 

We quickly ended up right back at the place where we started. 

I didn't need fireworks, planes, people; I didn't even need light.  All I needed were the words that Chris said to me in the next five minutes. 

It was one of the most memorable nights of my life.  And I even got my key lime pie.  It was March, 2000. 

The 2001 picture is missing, but the next ten years are accounted for and are pictured below. 

I share these with hesitation since Chris and I have gone through many different.....awkward.....phases when it comes to fashion and hair, but they're worth every single memory.  Each year is filled with so many, but here are just a few little snippets:

 2002. Sweet little Ella. Easiest baby ever.  It's a good thing she was the first; if Jrod or Lily had come along as number one, there would have been no number two.  

2003. First year without my dad on vacation, but a sweet time with the family.  Life was still easy as can be with only one.  

2004.  Jrod.  Jrod.   And we moved to St. Simons.  I also remember telling Chris I would never teach again. 

2005.  I went back to teaching. 

2006.   I quit teaching.  

 2007.  We moved back to St. Louis.  And, we decided to try for a third child with the expectation that after Jrod, surely we'd have a calm, laid-back child. 

2008.  The year I gave birth to the least calm, laid-back child I had known thus far.   

2009.  The year we both gave up hair - I chopped mine, and he shaved his.  

2010.  

2011.   All three kids in school and mom went back to working part-time, but not as a teacher. 

2012.  And here we are.  

God is good.  

All the time. 


1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful and my goodnes, you haven't changed a bit!

    ReplyDelete