Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Reminders

I've been looking at old photos over the last couple of days.  Some cute ones...and some not so cute ones.  Kind of like the junior high pictures that give proof I actually chose to wear my bangs the way I did:  curled up as high as you want to imagine them and sprayed with so much hair spray that wind coming my way would have blown them up in one bulk.    

I stared for a long time at the pictures of my kiddos when they were babies.  Oh, the innocence and sweet phases of wanting to sit on my lap all the time, loving a hug and kiss before school, and the more often than I should admit background noise of Thomas the Train and Elmo's World.  OK, I don't so much miss those background noises so much, though I'm trying to decide if the endless sound from boy bands these days is any better. 

And then there were the pictures of sweet baby smiles - these are the moments I remember with such joy. I want to embrace these memories so tightly that I don't forget any of them.  

And yet, babies grow up.  As quickly as I became sentimental over what used to be, I remembered the sleepless nights (I actually told one of my kids that if they got out of bed anymore at night, they would discover all the things that started crawling around in the middle of the night.  This, folks, was the state of desperate need for sleep that I only heard about before becoming a mother.  And I'm sure my kid will end up in counseling regarding the creepy crawlies).   And the diaper changing.  Oh, the diaper changing.  This needs not commentary. 

And then the crying when Elmo's World was over.  I discovered quickly that logic does not work with a two year old.  No matter how many times I explained I simply cannot make a TV show come back on, there were tantrums galore at the end of every sesame street.  I actually wrote PBS (and I kid you not about this) stating the need for an afternoon showing along with their regular 10:00 a.m. airing.  PBS never listened.  Thus our rather large library (now boxed up) of Elmo's World on VHS.   I do believe that DVR's were, in part, created for parents of toddlers who face these sort of desperate situations today.    

And then there was the grocery shopping with toddlers.  If you don't have one of these precious angels yet, here's a read to keep you from grocery shopping with them.  Possible forever.  

http://www.polskifamily.blogspot.com/2010/05/long-list-trip-to-walmart.html

So, it didn't take long for me to become a little less sentimental and much more grateful for my growing children. 

Last night, I attended the Messiah.  It was a beautiful concert, and in many ways I was caught up in the glory and Majesty of God as the music unfolded the beauty of the Messiah coming to earth.    

At one point I glanced over at my son, who went unwillingly but sat politely and was eating the skittles I brought as a bribe, and I became teary-eyed over the young man that God has been growing right before my eyes.  I loved cuddling him as a baby, I loved his mischievous spirit that kept me on my toes as a toddler, and I'm currently loving his humor, his love for life, and his profound (though at times ridiculous) questions about life.  I found myself longing with anticipation about his future. What will he be like as a high school student?  As an adult?  Will he still be asking for grenades for Christmas as a college kid? (Let's hope that one is outgrown after this year).  

Of course, I was quickly brought back to reality when he noticed me looking at him and leaned over saying, "Mom, stop staring!  And why do they have to repeat every line like five times?  I got that 'unto us a child is born' like the first time they sang it."  

Touche' son.  Touche.' 


I can't help but wonder if these sort of emotions are what we should be feeling at Christmas time. The profound mystery that Christ came to earth as a baby to save us is something as believers we should remember not just a Christmas, but every day we are granted life.  Remembering the past is essential for all of us as believers.  

When I read Isaiah 9:6-7
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end," I'm held in the miraculous embrace of what Jesus did for me.   The knowledge of what Scripture tells us happened in a dirty stall so many years ago - that God, our King, humbled himself and came to earth as a baby in order to save us - should affect our daily work, our decisions, and our attitudes. And what happened that night should cause Christmas season to be full of Joy and wonder.

But the joy of the season doesn't end there.  In the same way that merely longing for what used to be causes angst, our thankfulness for what Christ did should cause us to look ahead at what he will do. Advent season isn't only about Christ's first coming.  Jesus came to earth....and He's coming again! When we sing Joy to the World, it should inspire in us a sense of longing for what is to come:  when Jesus returns, the fields, floods, rocks hills and plains will all cry out!  And the shouts of joy will be repeated over and over again.  I can't wait for that day.  
  

Sadly for me, Christmas can be consumed with the stresses that it often involves.  But I'm thankful for the bold reminder through last nights concert of what this season is about as I was surrounded by magnificent music from instruments and voices singing, "And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."  And as we all sang out together:  "King of Kings and Lord of Lords...and He shall reign forever...Hallelujah!"  

And I'm thankful for the gentle reminder from Jesus about the meaning of Christmas when I glance at my son and am filled with gratitude for his past, his present, and all that is to come.  


(Christmas 2008)






No comments:

Post a Comment